unity of a group or class that produces or is based upon shared goals, interests, or standards; unity or agreement of feeling or action; mutual support within a group.
What makes for a student government that embodies solidarity?
- Partner with other campus groups to promote their initiatives or address current issues.
- Act as an advocate for underrepresented groups, students, or other university members with university administration.
- Raise awareness for a variety campus concerns, not only those related to student government operations.
- Foster open communication and positive relations with other campus groups.
- Encourage cross-group organization or activism.
- Pass resolutions highlighting current events or advocating for particular issues.
- Provide a discussion forum at senate meetings for students to voice concerns.
What has your student government done to embody solidarity?
- ASGSCU: We worked with the multicultural, community action organizations, and faculty members on campus to create a student forum to discuss changes that occurred to the women’s healthcare plan provided by the university. The issue was a hot topic for several months.