the action of helping or doing work for someone; contribution to the welfare of others; a facility supplying a public demand.
What makes for a student government that serves?
- Focus on the needs of the greater student body, rather than personal interests or preferences.
- Effort to assist peers in any capacity, particularly groups that are underserved in the community.
- Organize service projects with local organizations or on campus.
- Incorporate service components into larger scale events or initiatives, i.e. donating school supplies or canned goods as an entrance fee to an event
- Work with other student organizations or groups on campus to further their initiatives as well as your own.
- Pay special attention to groups on campus who may be marginalized and make a particular effort to address their needs.