the sympathetic awareness or understanding of another’s situation and the desire to take action to alleviate it.
What makes for a compassionate student government?
- An awareness of marginalized groups on campus.
- Active efforts to advocate for or particularly address the needs of marginalized students.
- Engage all student demographic groups on campus, particularly those less represented in the demographics of student government.
- Promote an environment of activism in student government.
- Encourage an inclusive perspective in the assessing and addressing of student needs.
- Active engagement with the entire student body, soliciting student concerns and difficulties through focus groups, surveys, and conversation.
- Particular attention paid to student demographics not represented in the Senate body, and an effort to address their concerns.
- Addressing student needs and difficulties through new initiatives, legislation, advocacy, and programming.